It isn’t so much a secret that PopWreckoning, or a certain Editor-in-Chief at PopWreckoning, is a big fan of the city of Philadelphia. It’s a city rich in history, culture and cheesesteaks. As if those weren’t enough, it’s got some really amazing musical acts, past and present, that call Philadelphia home.
I’ve never dripped sweat onto the floors of The Ukie, made it out to “Making
Time,” got my fingers dusty at Armands, or stumbled across The Roots rockin’
the corner of 5th & Passyunk. I wasn’t there. So I live vicariously through
you lucky few that were there or are there now. In an effort to exorcise my
envy, I started a project called Keys to the City focusing on Philly.
Those words belong to Will Abramson who enlisted the help of his two favorite Philly artists (the Roots and Diplo) and the website that taught him about hip-hop (okayplayer) to create Keys to the City, powered by imeem.
Keys to the City, Philly features:
* Exclusive interviews with the Roots and Diplo (featuring the premiere of a brand new Diplo track).
* A quintessential playlist of songs recorded by Philadelphia natives or written and produced by notable Illadelph residents created by ?uestlove (the Roots).
* An exclusive Mad Decent DJ mix (and a chance to win a Mad Decent prize pack).
* An essay on Philly Music by Okay Player.
* Photo slideshows from The Roots Picnic and Mad Decent Block Party.
* A Philly Music playlist by Jazmine Sullivan.
This is not a definitive picture of Philly music, but it¹s an honest attempt at showing some of what really goes on in the Philly music scene. Be sure to check out Keys to the City: Philly and if you have any suggestions of artists to be covered or songs to be posted, let us know!